Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Heart's Cry

I've been thinking about breath prayers all week long.
A breath prayer is a short phrase your heart can pray with each breath. Something easy, like this:
"Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy." or "Christ, I give myself completely to you." or any short phrase that is easy to remember and can quickly bring help. Here are a few more I use sometimes:

"Thank you, Jesus."
"Christ, hear my cry."
"Jesus I am yours."

Breath prayers are good to try to use, especially if it's a particularly stressful day or situation. I write them down and put them where my eye will fall on it and remind me to pray them. Then throughout the day, with each breath I am in a praying mode.
Pray without ceasing, the Bible says. I would love to get into the habit of prayer being the first thing to which I turn. I want my heart to be speaking with God before I do anything. I want my heart to be constantly listening for His voice.
Sometimes breath prayers help me in all the loud noisiness of life to remain focused on who is really important. And in moments of trouble or fear, they bring me back to the reality of a bigger force, a higher calling, a larger picture.

"Lord, hear my prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment