Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Adventure of Life Is Today

The past months I've been working to change my thinking and renew my mind about how I live my life. Part of that journey included reading A Million Miles In A Thousand Years and thinking about the story I live and what kind of story it should be. I decided I didn't want a story that ended on the couch with potato chips. I wanted a good story, a story that was always leading up to the most beautiful ending of Jesus. Once I decided that, I had to figure out what that looked like on a daily basis.

And what I am finding is that the adventure of life is

Today.

Just today. Not tomorrow. Not next month, or next year. Not when I have more money. Not when I have a diploma.

Not yesterday. Not last year. Not when I was younger.

Today.

So for the past couple of months I've been consciously focusing on just that. But it takes constant reminders as I retrain my thinking. I have to refocus frequently.

I am really good at worrying about what is going to happen next. I'm really good at trying to plan or figure out in my head what the next bit is going to look like or be like or include. Tomorrow sounds like a really good thing to worry about. I worry about whether I will get the job I want, whether my dreams will be realized on my time frame, whether things will work out, what will happen next and on and on ad nauseam.

But I can't worry about tomorrow. What I shall eat, what I shall wear, what will happen next.

One of the things I've been pondering is the change and flow of life and how you're going along and suddenly a curve is up ahead and everything changes in a moment, changing things forever. One moment I think I am following what I am called to do, then it changes and I am searching for the answer all over again.
My calling is to fulfill what is before me...today.

Every day I make myself take time to think through what I am called to do that day, with the knowledge that things could change at any moment. But it helps me think about today, not tomorrow. I think, today, I am called to do my best at work. To show Christ's love to those I meet. To study and do well in school. To find the service I am to do in the community I find myself in today. All I have to worry about is today. All I have to think about is today.

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt 6:33-34





No comments:

Post a Comment