Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Sound of Music

I’ve been thinking about music this week a lot. Up until just recently I really listened to very little music. But now I am in a quiet office alone a lot and have the time and quiet to keep some music going in the background. At first I was listening to Pandora. Pandora is a great way to get into some new music without a lot of work. Then I re-discovered Grooveshark. That’s a great way to have continuous music...it doesn’t have a time limit. But you do have to know what you’re looking for.
So I’ve been listening to music. Bluegrass, CCM, Traditional Chinese, some pop, Andes Manta, Glenn Miller, the list goes on but you get the idea.
The message of lyrics has been on my mind a lot this week. Because the office is quiet, I pay attention to the lyrics of the songs. One day I was listening to a popular bluegrass band, and after a few songs realized how depressing and hopeless their lyrics are.  One song after another had negative connotations. I finally couldn’t take it any more when I realized my mood was going down because of it and switched to some Veggie Tales just as an opposite extreme.

It really makes a lot of sense to be selective of the messages that are being subconsciously absorbed during hours of music listening. I’m careful about what my eyes take in and absorb, I’m careful about what my body takes in and absorbs, why should this stop when it comes to messages that enter my mind through my ears? It’s really true that you are what you eat. And it’s also true that you take on the worldview of the things you view, read, and hear even if you really don’t agree with it on reflection.

I’ve been finding the past few weeks that my mood can be encouraged or disheartened by the music I listen to. If I listen to a lot of music that has messages of no hope, or disappointed hopes, I find myself wondering where my hope is and forgetting the goodness in front of me. If I listen to happy music full of positive hope and joy, my mood is lifted and I’m happier.

Not that these mood swings are overtly obvious. But it’s enough that I’ve noticed an upward or downward turn according to what I listen to, and it’s been interesting to test out.

So what are you listening to? And what is the worldview and message of the song? Does it really agree with how you believe and live?

Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment